- Books: specialized books, textbooks
- Medical journal articles
- Articles to be published in medical journals
- Documentation for regulatory agencies
- Medical devices (medical, surgical, orthopaedic, dental and for in vitro diagnosis): user manuals, description of technical characteristics, marketing and training material
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
- Teaching material: e-learning
- Promotional material: brochures, catalogues
- Medical records, clinical reports, discharges, accident reports
- Clinical studies (from protocols to final reports)
- Expert reports on new drug indications
- Regulatory documents for health authorities
- Pharmaceutical technology
- Manuals for research laboratories
- Laboratory Safety Manual
TRANSLATION OF REGULATORY DOCUMENTS
- Clinical Study Protocols
- Summaries of product characteristics (SmPCs)
- Informed consent forms (ICF)
- Case Report Forms (CRFs)
- Serious Adverse Event & Suspected Unexpected Serious Adverse
- Reaction Forms (SAE/SUSAR) (CIOMS-1 form)
- Forms for notification of cases of notifiable diseases
- SOAP notes (Subjective, objective, Assessment and Plan notes for patient’s charts)
- Product labelling
- Patient information leaflets or package inserts (PILs, PIs)
EDITING AND PROOFREADING OF MEDICAL AND PHARMACEUTICAL TEXTS
COPY-EDITING – The text is checked for errors or inaccuracies in wording, grammatical errors, syntactic inconsistencies (concordance, correlation of verb tenses, prepositions, etc.) or punctuation errors and for the need to restructure the exposition so that the text is morefluent, sounds natural in its language and its message is clearer and more effective.
PROOFREADING – The text is checked for spelling and punctuation errors, if the typography is appropriate to the text, if international standards for writing numbers, mathematical signs and units of measurement are met, if the cross-references are correct.
CONTENT – The text is checked for errors of concept and vocabulary and adapted to the needs of the user to the country of destination. In my case, I am supported by my extensive medical training, my 33-year experience as a medical translator and my more than 20 years of experience as a proofreader specialized in medical and pharmaceutical texts.
POST-DTP QA – After completing the DTP phase (desktop publishing & formatting), the text is submitted to a quality assurance check (final proofreading, adjustments to text and layout).
TRANSLATION REVIEWS – The text in the target language is compared to the text in the source language, in order to check fidelity to the original and use of correct terminology, to detect omission or addition of text, etc.
Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
- Scientific articles for national and international medical journals
- Web content optimized for a good position in search engines (SEO): medical or health-related content for medical portals, websites and blogs
- Medical or health-related contents for informative or educative brochures addressed to patients, caretakers and the general public
- Contents for training materials for medical visitors
- Contents for continuing education courses for physicians
- Contents for support materials for oral presentations
- Preparation of regulatory documentation for clinical trials
- Writing of articles from congresses and clinical meetings
Continuing Medical Education videos
- Subtitling for the Deaf
- Audio description for the Blind
LINGUISTIC VALIDATION OF PRO MEASUREMENT INSTRUMENTS
I carry out all the phases of the linguistic validation of PRO questionnaires:
- Recruitment and coordination of a team of forward and backward translators
- Forward translations with cultural adaptation
- Revision of forward translations, and creation of a reconciled version
- Backward translation of the reconciled version
- Revision of the backward translation and creation of a draft version
- Medical review of the draft version (on my own if requested since I am a physician) or discussion of expert clinicians’ reviews
- Cognitive debriefings or Focus group of patients or healthy volunteers
- Elaboration of detailed reports on the cognitive interview or focus group results
- Production, proofreading and layout checking of the final version
Translation and review of screenshots for e-PROs
COVERAGE OF MEDICAL CONFERENCES AND CLINICAL MEETINGS
- Medical articles for medical portals
- Press releases for web pages
- Interviews with speakers and experts
- Reports for medical societies
- from the text translated
- from specific material provided
- from scratch
Examples of glossaries generated from scratch:
My courses can be adapted to any format and duration.
These are some of the courses given:
- Seminars on Medical Translation addressed to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-year students of the Translation and Interpreting School, Centro Universitario Estema, Paterna-Valencia, Spain.
- Seminars on Medical Translation addressed to 4th and 5th-year students of the Translation and Interpreting School, Centro Universitario Estema, Valencia, Spain.
- Associate professor and coordinator of the Course on Translation of Medical Texts. Translation and Interpreting School, Centro Universitario Estema, Valencia, Spain.
- Seminar on Biomedical translation as a part of the Master’s degree on Specialized Translation Facultad de Filosofía y Letras, Universidad de Córdoba, Córdoba, Spain
- Online course “Terminología de uso obligado en la industria farmacéutica”. AulaSic. 1st, 2nd and 3rd editions.
- Online course “Master of Specialization in Medical Translation”. AulaSic. 4th and 5th editions.
The following are some of my past presentations:
“Medical devices: ¿dispositivos médicos o productos sanitarios? Traducción según la normativa española”.
II Jornadas Científicas y Profesionales de TREMÉDICA at the I International Conference on language and Health Care.
October 26, 2007. Alicante, Spain.
“Linguistic Validation of the Translation of patient Reported Outcomes (PRO) Instruments”.
26th European Medical Writers Association (EMWA) Conference. May 1, 2008. Barcelona, (Spain)
“Medical devices: Terminología y traducción de inglés a español”. III Jornadas Científicas y Profesionales de TREMÉDICA.
November 8, 2008. Salamanca, Spain.
“Traducción, corrección y revisión de textos médicos”. Roundtable.
Red Vértice meeting, September 16, 2017. Barcelona, Spain.
“Asociaciones profesionales”. Mesa redonda. II Jornadas culturales del grado en Traducción e Interpretación de la UA en conmemoración del Día del Traductor, Universidad de Alicante. October 5, 2017. Alicante, Spain.